Monday 24 February 2020

Sorry, I have to tell somebody- I am absolutely loving AWS RDS (PostgresQL) right now, and not sure I'll ever use anything else (at least on personal projects).

I've done the whole MongoDB thing, and I like it. It's a great solution for many things but mostly I like how quickly and easily it can be set up.I've also done a good amount of MySQL on personal projects, after installing it on a DigitalOcean droplet (Ubuntu) and connecting to it remotely ($5/month).But I just tried AWS RDS last night, and got a plain PostgresQL (free tier) instance going... and it's amazing. Connecting to it in my project was super easy, and I absolutely love node-postgres.com as a resource when getting started. Shows you how to do clients, pools, and paramaterized queries- everything you need to get going.But anyway not to sound like a salesman but I strongly recommend looking into it, especially if you prefer relational databases. AWS RDS + MySQL I'm sure is great too. It's fast, generous free tier, and they manage the instance for you- automatically create replicas, update the software when necessary, support auto-scaling... combine that with pgadmin4 and you're in for an amazing database experience for Node projects.

Submitted February 24, 2020 at 06:54PM by zachwhitedev

No comments:

Post a Comment