Tuesday 17 December 2019

My Sequelize Tutorial

Hey everyone! I was looking for a community to post this into and found r/node. If this isn't an appropriate post for the subreddit, please let me know! I picked r/node because there isn't a Sequelize subreddit and Sequelize required Node.I built a tutorial revolving around using Sequelize, primarily for beginners, and would like some feedback on my tutorial. I've asked colleagues and friends for feedback, and so far it has been positive. I'm looking for a wider audience to give me feedback, since I want to make my tutorial the best it can be. I've put a lot of effort into writing this and am looking for constructive criticism. Before submitting feedback, please understand it is still a work in progress! A lot of Sequelize functionality is still missing from it, such as deleting information from a table, deleting data from associations, many to many associations, and so on.https://github.com/rlorenzini/mySequelizeTutorialA little background for those who are curious. I am a new developer (just over 1 year of coding experience) who went through a bootcamp in Houston. Once I graduated, I became a teacher's assistant. When we started covering the backend (Node.js, Express, pg-promise, Sequelize, postgreSQL, and more) a lot of students were struggling with Sequelize. Personally, I love Sequelize. I never liked creating a bunch of functions to run pg-promise commands when there was a library which already did that for me. I also struggled to grasp pg-promise at the time, so I gravitated to Sequelize.When I asked some students, they told me the documentation was confusing and difficult to follow. The Sequelize documentation is extensive with literally everything, but I never go there because it is written so poorly. I always went to alternate websites or medium articles to get help with Sequelize. One student specifically said, "Why is there no good single source for Sequelize?" It dawned on me I could be the one to make such a thing. Thus, my tutorial was born!I've been working on it consistently as a sort of pet project / passion. I've always enjoyed writing documentation and reports, but technical tutorials are new to me. That's why I'm here asking for feedback! Thanks in advance.

Submitted December 17, 2019 at 03:44PM by potatoCoding

No comments:

Post a Comment