Tuesday 19 September 2017

Deploying node apps - just use package managers or something like docker?

Two questions:I'm building a MERN stack app for the first time, and my goal is to build the app, store all the code in a repo, then have a client clone the repo and be able to build the app on their end as simply as possible. I know npm/yarn handle dependencies and all that, but do I need to/should I use docker to simplify the process? I'm used to working with PHP where I provision the server on my end, maybe send them the front end code that calls out to the server I set up, but for this I need to submit the code for the entire app and have it build and deploy on their end (back-end, front-end, database, everything). What's the best/simplest way to go about this?Second question, say I start working on my project at work, and then want to pick up where I left off at home. Can I do this solely through a github repo and yarn? I think it should be simple (push the code when I'm done at work, pull the repo when I get home and run yarn install) but last time I tried to do it I think things got more complicated than I expected (maybe it had to do with my mongo database)?Thanks for the help, sorry for the beginner-ish level of these questions.

Submitted September 19, 2017 at 03:49PM by tangled_up_in_blue

1 comment: