Friday 15 April 2016

Thoughts on an thread that put down node

I was curious about Agar.io and I found this thread:http://ift.tt/1SgeR4b you scroll down a bit to here, someone asked a question about nodejs. Which I thought was a perfectly valid question, but it looks like it got downvoted into oblivion.So, what really triggered me is not that the author chose C++ for the Websocket server. That is fine, but it's the post below that.Think that part of it is that only one process or thread can run at any given time in node. So, if you have a complicated multiplayer server, subroutines will start getting blocked.And alsoThe main limitation on a server capacity is CPUBut, cant clustering help fix that? Not only just clustering, but the ability to run multiple nodejs instances with PM2 and then using something like Redis for an in-data memory store to horizontally scale.The author has said each server has around "200 players", which are sending a ton of binary compressed data per second, but after looking at these benchmarks, 200 seems very little for one "server". Unless, each of his servers are single core?Anyway, I just felt like nodejs was put down unjustly in that thread and maybe I am wrong on some things, that's why I'm posting all this. I kind of want to hear what other nodejs developers think.

Submitted April 15, 2016 at 10:58PM by BillOReillyYUPokeMe

No comments:

Post a Comment