Friday 22 April 2016

[Help][Possibly Horrifically Embarrassing] Problem with Node requiring a file (likely normalize-package-data)

So I'll get right to it, because I think I messed up so terribly that I want to get this over with.Very frequently when cruising around in Node-based projects, likely after running npm install, I'll very frequently see '/favicon.ico - No such file or directory' in the terminal (and browser console as well). The only time I've ever even typed the word 'favicon' was when I was creating my personal website over a year ago.After doing some poking around, it seems to me that I somehow globally required Node to load in a reference / pointer to '/favicon.ico' through the normalize-package-data package. I'm assuming this because, unless Node has a serious affinity for favicons, the term '/favicon.ico' is being referenced in these seemingly unrelated packages:node_modules/browser-sync-ui/public/index.htmlnode_modules/browser-sync-ui/public/js/app.jsnode_modules/normalize-package-data/README.mdnode_modules/normalize-package-data/lib/fixer.jsnode_modules/sax/LICENSE-W3C.htmlAnd ones I'm unsure were already there or not:node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/session.jsnode_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/http.jsnode_modules/gulp-rev-replace/test.jsnode_modules/connect/History.mdNow browser-sync-ui does have a comment in their app.js folder stating browsers always make a request to a url @ /favicon.ico, but I'm not sure if that is auto generated.This problem is happening for me whenever I run a php artisan server (building something in Laravel right now), the terminal spits out some 404 nonsense about /favicon.ico. So, fellow Node folks, did I mess up horrifically? Do I need to do a clean reinstall of Node / npm? Thanks for your help.

Submitted April 22, 2016 at 07:46PM by PDX_Bro

No comments:

Post a Comment