Wednesday 27 April 2016

How to scale a node.js app?

Hi,I'm currently building a small multiplayer game like agar.io with node.js and socket.io. It's early in development, but I have some questions about scaling once it is released.When there are less than 80 people playing my game, they all play together and everything works fine.But what if there are 1,000 players online? I think I'll need to:Split players across different "rooms" (e.g. one room = 100 players), otherwise the game would be too difficult to play.And probably split the "rooms" across different servers (e.g. one server = 5 rooms) for better performances.However I have no idea how any of this works... Any advice or ressources to share on these subjects? I'm currently hosting the game on Heroku if that makes any difference.Thanks!

Submitted April 27, 2016 at 07:11PM by yukuzuna

No comments:

Post a Comment