Thursday 27 December 2018

Caching cloud data via a custom node server?

For an upcoming project I'm using a cloud database (Firebase Firestore). It works great, but my concern are potential high costs in case of high traffic to the site.​To keep the costs down, my idea is to avoid fetching data from Firebase directly in my frontend (React) app and instead:- create Node scripts that will pull data from Firebase and save it to local JSON files on my server every 15 minutes- create a basic Express.js API that will serve those local JSON data to my frontend apps​Is anyone doing something similar? My data doesn't update often, so making read requests to Firebase every 15 minutes is fine and would be a huge cost saver compared to making read requests for every single visitor.​My main question for the Node community, is it a good idea for my custom Express API to use "fs" to read json files and serve them? It seems redundant to use a local database as well, but I'd do it if it would be better for performance in case of high traffic.

Submitted December 28, 2018 at 06:09AM by reacttricks

No comments:

Post a Comment