Thursday 18 May 2017

Is it worth sticking to mongodb with GridFS or should I just use MySQL?

I discovered today about the little fact that BSON document sizes are maxed at 16mb. Because of reasons from what I can tell. Before someone says it, yes, I read the docs on mongodb about memory issues. I find that to be a shit excuse. Maybe 2gb or something like that as a max makes logical sense for a server environment, kind of. But not 16mb. But whatever. That's more of a water cooler discussion.I see there's a GridFS solution. Anyone with experience using huge datasets using mongodb/gridfs? Is it worth it? Pain/struggle? Or should I just have nodejs hook to mysql and call it a day? I'm sort of at the point that I should choose now before a point of no return. Well, super painful return worth of rewrites.The thing that just threw me off about this is hearing a bunch of hype from the past few years how mongodb is somehow magically better at huge data than MySQL. Doing research lately, I've been reading that it's not the case as long as I index my tables properly. So, just wondering if anyone out there has a personal opinion from experience about mongodb and large data. I could very well be missing some vital bits of info that makes everything make sense. I'm only 2+ weeks into nodejs.Thanks for any input.

Submitted May 18, 2017 at 10:51PM by Corodra

No comments:

Post a Comment