Saturday 11 February 2017

Question about NPM package names: Was there a particular reason for marking the scope of a scoped package by prefixing it with at-sign (@) in particular?

I think my question is actually three parts:Is there a reason we decided that the scope needed to be marked at all? E.g. why @myorg/mypackage and not myorg/mypackage? (I speculate that it is to avoid mixing scopes and packages.)Is there a reason that the mark is a prefix and just a prefix? E.g. why not myorg@/mypackage instead? (I speculate that it is to make all the scopes form one contiguous sequence when the content of node_modules is naturally sorted.)Is there a reason that the mark is an at-sign? E.g. why not +myorg/mypackage instead?The third part above is what I am most interested in.Thanks in advance for your revelation.

Submitted February 12, 2017 at 07:05AM by IceColdFresh

No comments:

Post a Comment