Wednesday 8 February 2017

Opinions wanted - MongoDB (on Amazon EC2) versus MySQL (on Amazon RDS)

I'm busy trying a few things on AWS with Node and wanted to get some opinions from those with experience using either MongoDB or MySQL on Amazon infrastructure.One of the mini apps I'm keen to test on AWS consists of an API server written in Node which will run on EC2 along with a React based front-end app.I was keen to get recommendations/caveats or stories of success/failure from those with experience using either: - MongoDB installed on an EC2 instance - MySQL via Amazon RDSThe appeal to trying RDS is that it's one of the core AWS services so comes with a few advantages and time-savers. The detractor is that I'm not a fan of how (initially) opinionated Sequelize is as an ORM out of the box. Although I do appreciate the migrations and other mature features.Mongoose ODM is one I really enjoy using for it's maturity and less opinionated setup. I'm just unsure what the downsides are to running this on AWS versus what advantages RDS might give.There's no intrinsic need for picking NoSQL or Relational DB for the API - at this stage it's about trying a few things out.Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Submitted February 08, 2017 at 11:04AM by dividebyzeroZA

No comments:

Post a Comment