Tuesday 23 June 2020

Best tools for dynamic file access (without Amazon S3)

I am designing a simple web application with Node as a web server. I am deploying this app in a VPS and each service is containerized via Docker. Other supplementary services the web server has are Nginx (for reverse proxy and static file access) and PostgreSQL (for storage of records).I'm trying to add a feature wherein users can change whether some static files can be read or not by other users. It's kind of a private storage wherein the those who access the web server will or will not be able to view those files based on their user privileges.My initial solution would be use the fs module to change the file permissions of certain static files to certain users. However, this requires switching to a different user in the VPS's OS who will be considered as the owner of the files. Using the fs module also means tight coupling with the OS and the file system making it hard to migrate to different storage solutions.Are there any services which that does this which can easily be containerized as a service? The reason I'm not using S3 yet is cost. There's a free tier for S3 but I don't want to use it yet until my VPS disk storage is used up.

Submitted June 24, 2020 at 03:51AM by CaptainMelancholic

No comments:

Post a Comment