Sunday 29 July 2018

Would you push to use NodeJS to write the COM sub-module of an enterprise application? Is it a safe choice?

I’m in a unique position. I’m the chief tech lead in my company (small software house) and I’m currently designing the architecture of an enterprise application for an important multinational client.One of the things the application has to do is manage the upload of huge files via browser and store them on disk, so my first go-to, for this specific task, was NodeJS. Other modules will be written in .NET or Java.One of my team members, however, pushed pretty hard to stop me from using NodeJS at all. He put forward several objections ranging from:his distaste for the language (“JavaScript is designed for the browser, not the server”)to security considerations (“an ex coworker of his who does security consultancy told him to stay away from NodeJS”)to “using this tech may make us look bad if the wrong people on the client’s IT find out”, given it’s not “enterprise like Java or .NET”He comes from a Java/C++ background which make him despise everything that’s not “as formal” as those ecosystems. I shut him down quickly when I saw he was being biased, but I took the last two points (security and enterpise-level) seriously.I’m still benchmarking based on our needs in order to choose the best tech among .NET, Java or NodeJS (which he would have done if I haden’t told him to), and because this is my project, I’ll decide what we use.However, the technical objections put forward are still looming in my head. The decision may be mine but I always consider my team’s opinion, and he put a lot of self-doubt on my original assessment, making me doubt of myself to a point.What do you think? Should I have not considered NodeJS for an software of the sort?

Submitted July 29, 2018 at 02:13PM by Katej99

No comments:

Post a Comment