Thursday 26 July 2018

Need somebody to hold my hand in getting my Express app online

I have a portfolio site online. I'd like to have it run with Node, so that I can have contact forms and other server-side functionality without having to touch PHP. So I wrote up everything offline first, using Express as a framework. The whole thing is effectively finished so I uploaded it all to my server via SFTP, npm installed the dependencies and so now it is on the server.The server's OS is Ubuntu, the HTTP Server is Apache. I know Apache is old, I'm a old man in a young man's body. It took me ages to move away from PHP in favour of server-side JavaScript. Plus this is only a portfolio site and not a real web application so I don't care so much about performance, I just want people to see how smart I am. Anyway I'm using Apache to serve requests and that is where I'm having trouble.I've been following this guide:https://ift.tt/2Ae3cn5 PM2, configuring Apache, etc. So now when you visit my website, you see a Apache file directory with the heading 'Index of /' and it is the /public directory familiar to all of you who use Express. So the root directory is the right directory. But it isn't starting the Node script. I don't know what could be wrong. Node isn't starting and running its script to set up the Express application.If anyone can ask me a few leading questions from a 'been there, done that' perspective, that would be brilliant and very helpful. I'm kind of stuck here.

Submitted July 26, 2018 at 08:24PM by koenigsforst

No comments:

Post a Comment