Friday 7 April 2017

Is loopback any good? I'm not sold on it

I've been looking into loopback recently. Just wondering if anyone here is using it and has any opinions of it.Having a thorough read through the documentation I've come to the conclusion that I personally don't like it. My reasons are:The documentation is average at bestI don't like how it abstracts the database behind a very generic 'storage' interface. Yes I understand it's possible to configure how the loopback fields map to the underlying database field but say I wanted to use Postgres' JSONB field. There isn't a way to query it via the storage api.I hate how it exposes it's its own DSL via the rest interface e.g. http://localhost:3000/api/locations/findOne?filter[where][city]=Scottsdale. This effectively couples your API consumers to loopback's idea of REST.It lacks a built-in migration framework. How do you add a non-nullable field to a table you have in production?!?To me it seems loopback is purposefully opinionated which I guess is fine if you don't have an opinion or if you're a frontend developer without any backend experience.Would love to hear other peoples thoughts or be convinced why loopback isn't that bad.

Submitted April 08, 2017 at 05:30AM by Groady

No comments:

Post a Comment