Saturday 30 January 2016

My comment which provided a fairly damning clarity on how the ChakraCore PR is an embrace, extend, extinguish maneuver by Microsoft was censored, and I was locked out of the thread

http://ift.tt/1Q0DGxc even though I had copy pasted it to the clipboard knowing it would be censored, I accidentally put something else on my clipboard so I don't have the text anymore. It was a very damning explanation of why the PR is quite suspicious and how the fundamental business interests at Microsoft are at odds with open software.But one key point: one of the most enthusiastic commenters on the PR, a 'MrRio', a.k.a. James Hall, is the founder and director of a marketing agency in Britain that has Microsoft as a core client (see their website, his LinkedIn). He came into the thread and urged that the PR be quickly merged. His prose implied that he actually believes the PR to represent both an embrace and extend maneuver by Microsoft. From his exact comments:It literally shims the same API rather than extending it [embrace]...Just land it and see what gives. It's adding so many features [extend] and doesn't break anything else. It can be refined once in and think about different engines later [extinguish].One of the other points I made is that MS in the last couple of years has engaged in other underhanded behavior related to open standards that oppose their business monopolies. There was a fraudulent JavaScript demo and article faking a data leak from WebGL that had mostly taken over the Wikipedia article for WebGL, which coincidentally that FUD was also created by technology-oriented marketing firm from Britain.Anyway Rod Vagg is core to NodeSoure, and Microsoft is a key partner for their company, which means that he is absolutely biased in this case, which is why he repeatedly censored my comment, even though a few people immediately suggested that I had made a valid point.But my prose in that comment was probably the best I have written, which is another reason I think the comment was deleted so quickly.

Submitted January 30, 2016 at 09:53AM by runvnc

No comments:

Post a Comment