Thursday 29 November 2018

advice for web / data lab engine

I have been messing about with node for a couple of months now. Our company monitors industrial equipment and works more like a data lab than a website (though we do host our own website). We use MySQL, ruby, and python for most of the data processes and Rails for the website. Our process is mostly made up of different scripts running all over the place. I want to clean it all up and make it more efficient.My questions are these:1) If I built a server, like with express or somesuch, would that API through HTTP requests be as fast as simple socket servers to receive a machine report and process the data then save it to the database? Is there much overhead between a simple TCP socket and an HTTP request as far as speed goes?2) Our website is huge and synchronous in the way it loops through a customers list of machines to produce tables, etc. I wish to replace it all, but is it feasible to replace parts of it at a time? Not sure how I would configure Rails to do so (it's 2.3.5, yeah, i know) or if I could do it a page at a time. Or, how clumsy would it have to be to embed some processes or website components from a node server into a view served up by Rails? I think I could pull this off if I can configure it correctly and if I can do so without it being a convoluted mess.​I have been experimenting with Objection.js and so far, I really like it as an ORM'ish alternative. Sequelize looks good too, mostly because of the Rails throwback in syntax. Express looks good for web stuff and, maybe for some data processing server side. Anyone done anything similar? Like used express to process a lot of data or run process that are not web/api related?​thanks for any tips

Submitted November 30, 2018 at 04:02AM by s-keL

No comments:

Post a Comment