Saturday 23 December 2017

Question about managing node.js installations

This question pertains to macOS High Sierra.I installed node & npm through the official installer (http://ift.tt/1UAOY2Y).After installation, I started doing some reading about how to manage node packages and I found a lot of discussions about how to install node and npm. The advice is all over the place and I'd like some advice before I go too deep.Some people recommended using Homebrew to install node and npm, but a good amount of people also said that this leads to major issues. The general sentiment is that you shouldn't use a package manager to manage another package manager. I've heard that before with other tools.Other people recommend using nvm to manage node versions. This looks pretty simple, but I don't really think I'll need to manage a bunch of node versions -- I just want to stay up to date with the latest node version.Not many people recommended using the official installer. Of course, that's what I did before I went down this rabbit hole.What is the best way for [i]most people[/i] to install node.js, npm, and additional JavaScript packages?Is there any sane way to uninstall node.js and npm is you used the official installer? Every resource I've found describes a hideous process...

Submitted December 24, 2017 at 05:33AM by pypy_question

No comments:

Post a Comment