Thursday 28 December 2017

Node from command line: fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected. How to troubleshoot?

TL;DR Running Node from my command line, I occasionally encounter an error: fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected. How can I troubleshoot this further--is it a Node issue, Git issue, Cygwin issue, or related to something else?Hi all, new to Node.js here. I am trying to contribute to an open source project (project here) that is written in JavaScript and requires Node.js to run. On my system (Windows 10), I can now edit source code and run the program via the command line. But whenever I introduce an error to the source code, half the time the error in-question is displayed in my command line window as expected (screenshot), but the other half of the time the same error occurs:$ NODE_ENV=development node bin/cli.js game -t 1 [main] winpty (6384) C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\winpty.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x6429D408/0x113D408. This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you are unable to find another cygwin DLL. Approximately half of the time I encounter this error, even if I remove the error in the source code and re-run the same command, the same error is displayed. When this occurs, I have to then restart my console (Git Bash in this case), or reboot my entire computer. How can I resolve this? I'm not sure if this is a Node issue, Git issue, Cygwin issue, or something else :-/I have followed the instructions in the error message, and confirmed there is only one cygwin1.dll, which resides in C:\cygwin\bin.When the issue began, I did not have Cygwin installed on my system. So I installed it (with all of the defaults), yet the issue is still present.I am using Node.js version 8.9.3 and npm version 5.5.1.Thanks in advance.

Submitted December 28, 2017 at 12:27PM by cag8f

No comments:

Post a Comment