Friday 4 August 2017

The marriage of WordPress and Grunt/Gulp

Please don't mind me, I was recommended to come here because I'm a bit unexpectedly out of my depths.I got hired to do some conventional WordPress work where the experience talked about making plugins and doing some design/layout changes.There are a lot of great resource, utilities and frameworks that I've yet to get up to speed on, though, and Grunt and Gulp are a pair of them that are currently in a staging environment I don't own and operate but that I have to work within.Nothing about the hosting, WordPress or the plugins in this installation seem to indicate that they're doing any CSS minifying, but I found files for Grunt and Gulp and associated package files in the site's theme folders.I didn't know they existed as of two weeks ago, and they both appear to allude to minifying CSS (among many other tasks).When I make a change to the stylesheet (the real one, just regular *.css) there's no conventional way to see it represented on the site, which is in a staging environment, because the source of the page is only pointed to the minified stylesheet, which does not update to reflect the changes.I asked in /r/WordPress thinking that if someone made the effort to bind the two, that there'd be some deliberate connection, like some way to be sensitive to both softwares to make the change and have the minification "triggered" the appropriate way. From the sounds of it, my issue leans more on my lack of understanding of how these two tools operate in a staging environment, and so it was recommend that I come here and seek your help.There was something along the lines of a 'watch list' or some similar-sounding convention, that would look for changes in files before going through every task on their list, which, it seemed, would include minifiying those new regular-stylesheet changes. That doesn't happen, though, and so I'm wondering what particular piece of fundamental knowledge I am ignorant of (in this case...that could be its own list! =)Thank you so very much, genuinely.

Submitted August 04, 2017 at 09:50PM by HelpsWithWordPress

No comments:

Post a Comment