Saturday 19 August 2017

Node Apps - Time to Market... Does It Improve? Is There a Secret?

Hey, JavaScript ninjas! I've been wrestling pretty hard with a question: Which back end solution is right for me?Recently, I had the pleasure of playing with Laravel. I was amazed at how quickly it solved problems right out of the box. Want to send an email? Cool, just throw some info in this config file and generate a mailer. User authentication? Run a make:auth command. That said, I've actually been gunning for Ruby, just because Rails seems like a "safe" choice.Anyway, the thing is that I love JavaScript. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome (I've spent a lot of time with it because I'm primarily a front end dev). If I were to use it on the back end, it'd mobilize me immediately. I wouldn't have to learn another language, I'm familiar with the ecosystem, I can write tests, etc.However, assuming that I use Express (I haven't used Sails, or any other framework), I'm left to wire everything up myself, including user authentication and authorization, security solutions like CSRF fields, etc. For me, this is rather time-consuming. In fact, it's so time-consuming that I wonder if it's the right solution for our company. When the owner asks, "Why shouldn't we use Rails if you can (eventually) get a product to market more quickly using it?" it's hard to respond.I understand that Express apps will be faster in terms of application speed, but for most of our clients' needs, I don't suspect that extra speed will be noticed. Speed in terms of development, however, will be.I just want to know if you've experienced anything similar. If so, did you get faster at spinning up apps? Is there an initial "hump" in every project to get over, at which point developing in Express becomes just as fast as developing in Rails or Laravel? Is there something I might be missing? When do you reach for Express?Thanks for reading!

Submitted August 19, 2017 at 11:18PM by Mathematicks

No comments:

Post a Comment