Tuesday 27 December 2016

Do you think I should learn Node over Ruby (and Rails)? (And why) (x-post from /Ruby)

Hi,I'm a game developer that want to learn some web dev to land some gigs to make some side cash. I've done some .net work back in ~2002-2003 that it came out and some ASP 3 before but nothing too serious. I know C/C++/C#, Lua (and some other scripting language) and mostly used C++/C# for the past decade or so.My web dev friend told me to go Ruby/RoR way and I did a bit and liked Ruby (haven't touched Rails yet), specially since it's difference to what I already know. Whenever I ask him about other frameworks or languages like Node.JS, he says they are inferior but his reasons are not solid, IMO.The reason I'm considering other alternatives like Node.js is apparently they are more popular (for whatever reason) and apparently JS is not going away anytime soon and I seem to find more job opportunities for it than RoR. Also from what I've learned, RoR is not good to act as a game server, since it's slow.So I was wondering, what you guys would think, which way do you think I should go to minimize effort and maximize revenue. (I don't care if I have to learn hard languages or ones that are new like functional ones, I like tech challenges)Thanks /ruby.

Submitted December 27, 2016 at 10:57AM by lastninja2

No comments:

Post a Comment