Thursday 24 November 2016

nodejs noob server setup

Hello. So many years ago I used to be a php+mysql developer, but I gave up and did something else.... But recently I stumbled across node.js, npm, and express etc, and I liked what I saw, and decided to have a go and create a small app.The app works fine, and now I want to get into it more. However a friend who admitted he doesn't know anything about node.js, told me running node directly on a laptop was dangerous, because packages may contain malicious code. He said I should segrate apps into their own environment which would make deployment easier.So, I decided to buy a rpi to setup a small development server, but I'd like it to be production ready, so if I wanted to put it online I could. Now back in the day I used a single vps, with webmin, apache, php, mysql, bind installed, and from that one server I'd run many websites etc.The rpi hasn't arrived yet, so i'm trying to get started inside a vm, but I'm confused about what I need. I don't want to run one node app on the rpi. Ideally I'd like to run many node apps, and also have the ability to run other stuff like php, mysql, python etc.....Now I've been reading about docker, which makes sense, but I've read conflicting setups. Some people say you should segregate every service, so I assume I would have to install node.js, mongo, mysql etc all into separate containers? But other people have installed linux, nodejs, etc together inside a single container....So, I'm confused about what to do next, and I hope someone here understood what I wrote. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Submitted November 24, 2016 at 03:11PM by loucostello1

No comments:

Post a Comment