Friday 11 December 2015

Thrilled to have reached over 950 stars on GitHub with my simple, but useful lib.

I just want to write this post to share my brief story about how I somewhat unintentionally ended up reaching over 950 stars and reaching global trending for five days in a row on GitHub after writing a small lib as a showcase for a job interview.I work as a system architect / developer for a retail company that have nothing to do with technology and just recently I realized that working here doesn't pose any challenge for me as a developer and that it will be very difficult for me (given that the focus of the company is just sales) to sustain a constant pace of learning and improving myself.Because of that I started looking for a place to work where I can really push my boundaries and be involved with people with the same interests as me, and also be able to absorb knowledge from more experienced people than me.In my search for this place to work, I found a place that I really liked and applied for a job there.In the first steps of the candidacy I was asked if I had anything published or contributed on GitHub that I could show presumably for their team to analyze and have a better understanding of my capabilities. Well. I didn't.After this conversation, we scheduled a personal interview to move with the process. But it concerned me that I really didn't have anything by my own published and I thought that having such a thing would be a good Idea so that night I slept thinking on what I could make to maybe present at the day of the interview.This is how DreamJS was born.I wrote the lib in a small amount of time (after all it is a very simple lib) but I finished it just a couple hours before the interview and I actually never got the chance to present it on the interview day.Unfortunately I didn't got the job (maybe because I was nervous and didn't do well on the small test that they gave me) but when I woke up the next day I was trending on Github.The feedback from the community has been amazing and I will keep improving the lib since it has caused me so much joy and fun to make it and it felt really good to be able to provide something useful for the community.The link for the lib in case anyone wants to check it out is: http://ift.tt/1mfp1GR by the way... I am still looking for a job ;)

Submitted December 11, 2015 at 08:13PM by Zartharus

No comments:

Post a Comment