Monday 25 May 2020

Activity feed using node and mongodb.

I'm looking for a push in the right direction... I have a node / react / mongo app I'm coding and was wanting to put together an activity feed. For example, "Bob created a new Todo List" or "New item added to Grocery List", etc. I wasn't sure if there was an easier path, but my initial thought was to create a logging table, and just add an entry for every specific tasks I want to log. But also thought I could write a script that just goes and collects what's changed in the database (related to the ToDo list in this example) and spit that out as something human readable. I'm curious if someone has some better insight into this before I get too deep and realise it's the wrong approach. Maybe an example app or node package that explores this?And maybe one more request... :)All of this was because I've been thinking of adding version control of sorts to my application. To allow users to undo a change. So, for this generic example, a user could scroll through an activity timeline and see all these changes to their Todo list. But could also revert back to a particular point of time. Another example would be gitbook. You can have a staging area of changes before you publish them. You can add to it and merge much like GIT would normally do. Any good leads or reads on how to approach this?Any help would be great!

Submitted May 26, 2020 at 03:06AM by thisisnots

No comments:

Post a Comment