Sunday 31 May 2020

Node fatigue: Is it worth investing time in the node ecosystem in 2020?

Last week my productivity has hit a new low. I've recently committed myself to switch from a python Django backend to a TS node js backend. Before that, I've gathered some fairly extensive experience with React and JS itself. Also, I finished a React + TS project. Ever since committing myself to Node, I constantly seem to be in a race to keep up with new technologies: GraphQL / GraphQL Nexus, TypeORM, Prisma, Express, Fastify, Nest, Deno ... to name just a few. I end up researching for hours and hours fearing to miss out or bet on the wrong "horse".Coming from a very mature framework, I can't help but notice that a lot of these tools are pretty half baked often missing very essential/basic functionality. Yet, the whole community seems to be in a crazy hurry to adopt every framework in a matter of weeks/months. On top of this, a lot of these tools aren't backed by big organizations that commit to maintaining them in a responsible manner.Don't get me wrong: I want to use JS / TS.I like the language and love the idea of becoming a true expert in the ecosystem -> But it's frustrating.It's hard for me to trust these tools and I'm beginning to doubt whether it is worth it at all. Does the node (deno?) ecosystem need to mature as a whole before it would be advisable to get into it? Have you guys experienced similar frustrations? Do I just need to power through?

Submitted May 31, 2020 at 10:44AM by memo_mar

No comments:

Post a Comment