Monday 27 April 2020

Ubuntu 20.04 is out, but Nodesource *.deb still depends on python2

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) is out and of the features proudly mentioned in the release notes, it that they got rid of python 2 and now only require python 3 by default. Finally!When I wanted to install Node.js using the binary package provided by NodeSource, I found that even the latest 14.x version still depends on python2-minimal. I mean, come on! It's 2020, and we shouldn't be required to use this ancient, end-of-life version of python. Why is python required anyways? I did not find any consistent information, seems that node, npm and node-gyp all blame each other.Does anyone know if there is a way to install Node.js without python2? (No, I can't use the Snap version, because a) I don't like it and b) I get a GLIBC error when I want to use the dependeny 'serialport')

Submitted April 27, 2020 at 10:09PM by bildanderwand

No comments:

Post a Comment