Sunday 26 January 2020

How to implement a chatroom & online leaderboard?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm trying to learn more about the back-end, so for a personal project I'm trying to create a game that has a global chat and will store the user's final score (if good enough) on a global leaderboard (without them having to sign up).However I'm having a really hard time trying to understand how in the world I'm going to do this. My 'game' is a SPA using React on the front-end. I think (no idea) I'll use an express server + socket.io (for the chat?) + (some authentication method? sessions? jwt? oauth? firebase?) + postgres to store data (if I even need that). There are so many options and it's extremely overwhelming.How do I auth users w/o them signing up and allow them to chat or submit scores?How do I even go about creating a global chat room?Do I even need to use a postgres database? I'd imagine so, considering the leaderboard.So I feel like I have an idea of what I'll need to achieve this at the front and very end, but no idea in between. So I'd be greatful to get any wisdom or guidance to get me on the right track. Because I feel like if I just jump in blind, it'll be a disaster.React <> Express <> ???????????????????????? <> Postgres DB

Submitted January 27, 2020 at 06:58AM by theLastRising

No comments:

Post a Comment