Saturday 25 May 2019

Help: Managing users expectations for open-source projects

I'm the author and maintainer of sync-dotenv and I could really use some help πŸ™​Context: sync-dotenv is a CLI tool that automates the process of keeping your .env file in sync with .env.examplesync-dotenv will attempt to sync .env with .env.example (default) when no arg is provided. Failure to find either of these files will cause the sync to fail.​I got a request from a user wanting the sample file (.env.example) to be created if not already exist. The request sounds reasonable, but I really don't know how other users will feel about it.​Question: Do you think it's better to create the sample file if not already exist? If not, how do you politely tell the user that their request will not be fulfilled?​P.S: I'm new to maintaining open-source project.

Submitted May 25, 2019 at 04:02PM by codeshifu

No comments:

Post a Comment