Saturday 27 April 2019

Why is windows node binary about 62% the size of Linux and Mac binaries?

The Windows node binary is about 25MB; the Linux and Mac binaries are about 40MB. I'm curious, why the large discrepancy in file sizes?I'm asking this question purely out of curiosity; I do *not* have a filesize-related problem that I need to solve.I have a couple guesses:a) differences in the ELF and PE file formats.b) Some sort of compression.c) Windows guarantees a greater bulk of functionality in its core DLLs, whereas Mac and Linux are more unpredictable across OS versions and distros, so node needs to statically link more libraries❯ ls -al "$( which node )" ; ls -al "$( which node.exe )" -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43226968 Apr 23 14:23 /usr/local/bin/node -r-xr--r-- 1 abradley abradley 26774168 Apr 23 12:24 '/c/Program Files/nodejs/node.exe'

Submitted April 27, 2019 at 08:19PM by cspotcode

No comments:

Post a Comment