Tuesday 30 April 2019

CMV: Node is just as good a choice as Rails when it comes to making web applications

I love Ruby on Rails. I love it because I can quickly and easily build a production ready web application within weeks or even days. It's mature, stable and has a great community. The thing I most love about Rails is that it encourages test driven development, and provides a framework for doing so out of the box. This means I know that my application works.Because of this, I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to learn Node because I'm so comfortable with Rails. However, I also know that there are so many production web applications built in Node, and that Node is a very powerful tool.My challenge is I don't know when and how to reach for Node when I could just use Rails and have the added bonus of an end to end testing framework built in. Every Node tutorial I've seen either ignores testing, or requires manually setting up a testing framework.I know there's Meteor.js which looks like the closest equivalent to Rails, but I get the sense that it's not nearly as stable as Rails. Am I wrong? Is there a stable, mature full stack Node framework out there? Or, am I just not thinking in the 'Node' way?

Submitted April 30, 2019 at 06:17PM by P013370

No comments:

Post a Comment