Friday 28 September 2018

Node Performance Benchmarks - CPU Upgrade For Data Processing?

Hey Everyone, I'm primarily developing a data-processing heavy nodejs app on my late 2013 macbook pro (2.4 Ghz core i5 haswell 4258U).The problem is that my data set is doing calculations and a lot of regex on hundreds of thousands of items and it's taking FOREVER with my CPU at 99% for node. I know javascript is probably not the most efficient data processing language, but it's what I know. Have already refactored a few times to ensure I'm not running excess operations.Big question is, will I notice a large difference if I setup an Ubuntu workstation running an AMD Ryzen 8 core CPU? Like enough that I'm not waiting hours for this data set to finish, and I can me more productive?I tried running this in Google Cloud Functions and got hit with a $100 bill after only ~20 minutes of testing the data workflow, but it was FAST lol.

Submitted September 28, 2018 at 02:37PM by boon4376

No comments:

Post a Comment