Tuesday 22 March 2016

Node JS N00b Questions

It's been about 10 years since I built my first website, I believe I was using frontpage at the time (el oh el) I moved to Dreamweaver soon after. The last site I actually completely built in Dreamweaver was ~5 years ago. I have since moved to doing more on the server side of things but I am still very active with HTML as well.About a year ago I discovered node JS but I had problems getting it to work. In the last week I have been trying to get it to work to do literally anything. I just want to know what node JS does and are people using it to build production sites? What are the benefits of using it?What I know about node js: -Node JS is a Javascript runtime. -NPM seems to be a package manager of sorts. -There are some cool packages I want to check out such as grunt uncss.Questions I have: What is an SCSS file? How does it work? What is a package.json file? Is this similar to the way a JSON api works? Who uses node js? Is there a really good beginners guide to installing on windows?I feel like windows may be my problem. I spent a whole day searching NPM errors one after another and most were odd dependencies like python. I'm not familiar with python on a windows box at all but I am on a linux box. Does node run better in a linux environment or maybe a dedicated windows environment.Also I want to get into angular js, and it looks like node is a requirement?This CLI based web development where you "build" rather than "code" is new to me, any help, information, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.TLDR: - What is node js? - Who uses node js? - Pros? Cons? - Bomb ass n00b guide anywhere? Also a n00b guide for angular?

Submitted March 22, 2016 at 08:33PM by coppazappa

No comments:

Post a Comment