Friday 27 September 2019

I made HideJS for the times I wanted to demonstrate a web app without revealing any source code.

The site is HideJS, hosted as a Heroku app with NodeJS + Puppeteer backend. You just enter a URL (to your website or web app), click the button, and it encrypts it for you to share. Others take the encrypted string and submit it in the same box. The encryption part is (maybe obviously) so they can't just visit the direct URL instead and see your source code.If you're patient for maybe 5 seconds (?) an interactive stream of the site will be established. The experience should be exactly the same as visiting the actual site, except without sound and with a low framerate. And of course, the complete inability to see any source code. It turns any web app or site into a blackbox.Try visiting this link to see it in action: (can you guess what it is?)https://hidejs.herokuapp.com/4dd42e87e0c8644f185a8d345e35c5c0ba54bbbd5195072c646a375de3a1fedcDON'T click the blue button when you visit the link! Just let it load =)I've only tried it on Chrome on a Windows x64 Laptop. Try selecting text, copying it with CTRL + C and pasting it into a form with CTRL + V. Or watching YouTube videos (without sound, sadly).Maybe this is mundane stuff to everyone who's had to use Puppeteer for their dayjob. But to me, it feels kind of magical. What do you think?It works with Canvas so you can actually play games through it (I confirmed this), but for some reason WebGL doesn't render. I do intend to fix that.I know Browserless.IO does something similar to this but it's focused on debugging and headless automation, not for blackboxing demos of web apps.To be honest I did not do a TON of research into seeing if there already existed something like this for this purpose, but what searching I did do didn't yield anything. If you do know of something like this please share!Thanks for reading.EDIT: By the way I am struggling to find a way to simulate mouse wheel events. I can't even get them to work in regular Chrome. If someone could help me out with that I'd be very grateful, I tried all the solutions on stackoverflow but none of them have worked. So I'm simulating up and down arrow keys on Puppeteer as a replacement.

Submitted September 27, 2019 at 11:16AM by MelerEcckmanLawler

No comments:

Post a Comment