Wednesday 24 January 2018

Confused about what node can do

I understand that node replaces server side languages like PHP, but I don't understand if it can also function as a replacement for a web server like ApacheRight now I'm in a course that's building off of a project done by a group in a previous semester, we just got their source code and that's it. The middleware that connects the front end web site to a backend database is mostly written in node it appears.I've had to set up our rack mounted server (where I put the database), and also installed apache to our server. I put all of the front end html files developed the previous semester in the var/www/html directory and apache served those files to the browser correctly!But the more I read about node, the more I realize that it can also function as a web server. Looking thru more of the source code, I see things like require('express') which seems to me like I don't need apache at all because node can do all of the web server work. Am I on the right track? Can node replace apache in this project?Thanks for reading btw, I'm pretty noobish in all things servers and in node!

Submitted January 25, 2018 at 12:37AM by i_love_chess

No comments:

Post a Comment