Thursday 16 March 2017

Raft - I've been working on a Node module for a sort of structured way of defining data sources. I would love any feedback or comments! (x-post /r/javascript)

So here it is: http://ift.tt/2mxXXm8, I wanted a standard way to define data sources that would allow me to write tools (currently raft-cli) that would work for any data sources that confined some certain structure. I am very unsure if this is actually a useful idea or if it's just good as a learning project for myself, but in either case I would love any feedback at all, whether it's about the project idea itself, or the organization of the repo, or the code itself.Thanks!Here's the summary from the README that might provide a bit better summary of the idea.The goal of this project is to provide a structured way of defining data sources, actions that can be performed on those data sources, and options/parameters that can or need to be provided for those actions. The hope is that this structure will allow for tooling (e.g. raft-cli) to be made that can work for any data sources that confine to this structure. Whether or not this is actually useful, or a problem that already has a solution I'm not aware of, I'm not sure.The movitation behind this project was a project I've been working on that requires getting some data from a Google Drive spreadsheet. After I wrote the pieces to get the data, I had to contiously make test scripts to see what the output would be with different parameters. That led me to want to make an interactive command line program that would prompt me for different paramaters and output the results, without having to make and edit a bunch of different junk files. Because I have no will power, I decided to generecize this to work for any "data fetcher" module that conforms to a certain structure, which is what Raft is.

Submitted March 16, 2017 at 11:00PM by weston___

No comments:

Post a Comment