Friday 27 January 2017

User authentication options?

So I've been learning Node/Express for a few months now, and I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable. I have no issues writing routers, connected to DB, writing CRUD API's, etc. I can stand up small apps pretty quickly and overall I really enjoy using it for speed and simplicity.Aside from that, I'm teaming with a more Sr. Dev to work on a side project/startup company (hopefully).I've built out the entire API, front-end and everything. He's working on the 'magic' of the app which is way above my head. Recently, I volunteered to take on the user-authentication, which is one of the last steps to get a functioning MVP.The problem is, I haven't really found anything thats intuitive to use. Before Node, I used Ruby on Rails and the Devise gem was like magic. Plug and play - install it and boom, you have a fully built-out user authentication model.Is there anything like that in Node? I've researched Passport and Stormpath. Passport seems a little too complicated being that you have to work with tokens and sessions (which Devise did automatically) and Stormpath is great, but expensive if your app becomes popular, and all the views are in Jade and i'm already committed to EJSAgain, I'm pretty new to Node, so any advice, hints or general direction would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this issue, trying different things all day and i'm about to pull my hair out so I thought it'd be time to call in the big guns!Thanks in advance!

Submitted January 27, 2017 at 08:38PM by FightArts1

No comments:

Post a Comment