Friday 22 February 2019

I built this tool to solve my biggest frustration with the command line

Hey all, I have spent a few months coding an open source tool that has helped me tremendously with my day-to-day development and devops tasks involving the command line. My tool is called nama and can be found at https://github.com/alecdibble/nama. It allows you to store, organize, and easily run aliases . It incorporates tab autocomplete to make searching and running aliases really easy and fast. Right now, it only supports bash. nama is written mostly in node, with some bash scripting to provide part of the console-based functionality.I have a lot of freelance clients and need to remember many commands day-to-day, including SSH servers, dev environment scripts, database tunnels, handy backup scripts, and more. nama has helped me switch contexts and not have to stress about looking up common commands constantly. I have also built out a cloud service, called AliaSync, that is powered by the https://github.com/alecdibble/nama-sync package. I wanted a way to have my commands available on remote servers and keep them in sync on all of my computers, so I created AliaSync to provide that. It doesn't yet have a website or any web present besides the nama-sync github & npm pages.I am posting to get general feedback about the idea and am hoping that someone is willing to try it out and report bugs or give more detailed feedback. Thank you!

Submitted February 22, 2019 at 07:30PM by alecdibble

No comments:

Post a Comment