Saturday, 9 November 2019

Large scale, scalable chat systems

I think XMPP is my best bet over Websockets Or GRPC that I was considering building this system with, when I didn't know about XMPP servers. After researching a bit, I've decided to go ahead with Ejabberd, but I think the entire system is just a black box, i.e. we can only configure it and not hook into its functionality. Sure we can query the system for data but thats it.Here comes the problem. I have a user base stored in MongoDB and Ejabberd doesn't natively connect with NoSQL dbs. And in my scenario, only some users can message other users and users must be asked for their consent before someone can message them. According to my research, Ejabberd supports custom authentication with auth_http module and also communication blocking. But I really don't understand how all this will work with my NodeJS backend? If anyone has experience with Ejabberd, some help or nudge in the right direction will be highly appreciated.

Submitted November 10, 2019 at 05:45AM by abhi12299

No comments:

Post a Comment